Monday, June 27, 2011

CSCC SoPac Divisionals

Woo yee, I've been looking forward to this event for a long time. A chance to play on home turf at one of my favorite events.

The course was set up by a 'guest' designer from Arizona who doesn't usually have such a big lot to play on. This time he put together a course that ended up being 1.8 miles in length. Even by our large lot standards, this was a big course.

Our car is working well and both Jason and I were looking forward to competing this weekend. We start out day one in the hunt after first runs. I have a run that is competitive in time, but has lots of cones on it. Jason is doing pretty well too. We are getting ready to make our second runs. Jason lays down a better time and it's my turn. I'm out and going in to the first turn around when I hear a pop and the brake pedal goes to the floor. Upon closer inspection, the brake line has ruptured. There isn't any way to get his fixed in time for our third runs. Both of us start looking for rides. Fortunately, Jason and I are able to find rides - Jason in Lugod's car and I'm in Jack's car. Jason goes faster and I make a clean run, but it's two seconds slower than my first run.

With runs for the day over, Jason starts working on the Civic. Steve Ekstrand happens to have a spare brake line and Jason is able to fix the car. While the brake line is being fixed, a front stud also breaks in the process. After a little extra work, the car is back together and feels fine.



Saturday is shot as far as my race goes, but Jason is in the trophies after Saturday and definitely in the hunt. The car is fixed for Sunday and it becomes a one day race for me - balls to the wall hunting down Will who is flying.

Sunday comes around and the course, while minimally changed, drives quite differently. The Civic is working well and this course seems to be even more about speed maintenance and not making mistakes. Something that I'm unable to do as I cone away all three runs. Jason on the other hand is having a spectacular day. His times are consistently good and he pulls himself up to third place by the end of the last run. What a great showing for Jason and good representation for our sponsors.

Check out the video of Jason's last Sunday run below:

No comments: