Sunday, April 10, 2011

El Toro ProSolo - Day 2

The weather starts out cool, but it's a nice day and it is warming up quickly. Even though we started running an hour earlier, it's already warmer when we run than it was yesterday afternoon.

Photobucket

The morning is very exciting as everybody seems to be going faster and the lead is changing almost every other run. The announcer is adding fuel to the fire announcing what could be as well. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment.

Jason starts out first and is able to go faster on the left side. He has really good times on both sides. Now its a question of how fast the other drivers go.

I'm lined up for my first right side run. The grip is there and I go faster, but I'm dirty again. I go out and make the left side run and come back with a 20 second run. The announcer confirms that I'll be getting a re-run. I stay paired up with my 'buddy' and go back to make my 2nd right side run. This is my last chance to get a right side time and I need to keep it clean. I post a 46.2 clean, which takes me from the middle up into the trophies. I make my 2nd left side run and red light. I continue to run it at speed to try and get a feel for the course.

Photobucket

In the mean time, Jon and Will have upped the ante significantly and they are running away from the field. I doubt that anybody will catch them.

I go back to the staging area to wait to be called up for my re-run. I sit and get ready. When I'm called up, I'm paired against a race-tired Corvette. Jason and the others are yelling at me to take him. I focus on the lights and get off to a good start, making sure not to red light. It's very satisfying to see that I exit the 60ft chute before the Corvette. I wish I had a camera facing him. Oh well. The rest of the run is a joke and to add insult to injury, at the end of my run, the announcer tells me that I have taken too many runs.

We head off to impound and have no idea what the results look like. The others have been doing the math and tell me that it's close. Jason and I will most likely be very close in the trophy spots. Just like yesterday, we spend an eternity waiting for results. I'm not sure what caused the results to take so long and I hope they are able to speed it up in future events.

Photobucket

The results are finally brought out and the final standings show me in third and Jason in fourth. We have a good showing for Bridgestone again. I'm very excited for Jason to see him driving so well.

Photobucket

Dale gets wrapped up in something in his head and ends up going slower this morning and giving up his 5th place spot as everybody started to go faster.

All of us put our names in the infamous 'hat' for a chance to run again. Jason is drawn and gets to play again in the bonus challenge. He advances until he is drawn against George Schilling and loses by 0.022 seconds.

Photobucket

It's still a great weekend for all. Thank you to the local ST family for showing Dale a great time and some SoCal hospitality!

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments: